Your weekly roundup of the hottest travel links across the net:
1. Do you ever wonder why with all the technology available to us, air travel is still so slow? In fact, not only has it not gotten faster, it’s actually slowed down – a flight from Washington D.C. to Miami takes 45 minutes longer today than it did in 1973. Want to know the reasons why? Check out this explainer from Slate.
2. In case you missed it, here is the rant by a Southwest Airlines pilot that was heard all across air traffic control after his microphone got stuck in the “on” position. Warning: this is the uncensored version.
3. If you think you’ve experienced lost luggage problems when flying, wait till you read this passenger’s nightmare experience. Ick!
4. Love a good deal? You might want to check out Spire, a new travel flash-sale site that’s launching this week. Similar to what Gilt or Ruelala are to clothing flash-sales, this site will focus on the luxury travel set. And while it sounds like it’s catering to people with well-lined pockets, with discounts of at least 30% off, you never know what you might find.
5. Tired of the same old travel spots with the same old stuffy sites? Looking for something a little more… salacious? Check out this list of five surprisingly raunchy destinations in Europe.
6. I absolutely love trying new foods from across the globe, but there are some things I wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole – like most of the things on this list of the world’s strangest national dishes.