Your weekly roundup of the hottest travel links across the net:
1. Hotel costs can really eat into a travel budget so couch-surfing is one way to not only cut those costs, but to meet some interesting locals in the process. However, the idea of sleeping on a stranger’s couch can be a little intimidating and most people aren’t familiar with the etiquette. That’s where this great primer for first-time couch-surfers comes in.
2. Some hotels are now offering “digital detox” vacation packages to help people unplug and unwind. Turn over your electronic devices when you check in to your room and you’re given a discount on the bill. Would you be able to do it?
3. Ever dreamt of sailing across crystal-clear turquoise waters, indulging in freshly caught seafood and swimming on your own private beach? Check out this article about how to do just that for only $35.
4. Traveling and experiencing new cultures and languages makes you realize that some things really are lost in translation. This list of 20 awesomely untranslatable words from around the world really shines the spotlight on how language reflects the very quirky, sad or simply different beliefs belonging to various cultures.
5. Of all the American cities known as tourist magnets, there’s a rather unusual suspect joining the list. Detroit is reinventing itself as an up-and-coming backpacker destination.